Who are the best of the best when it comes to acting? In this picture, only one is on my list.
The more important question is, why even bring this up for debate? Well, because it’s fun to debate over nonsense. I consider myself as good as anyone when it comes to deciding who is a great actor or not. It’s been something I have studied since the age of 4.
So how did I come up with this top 10 list? I took into account many factors. Oscar winners, consistent working actors, leading man ability, etc.
So here is my list of the 10 best actors currently working in Hollywood today. Let the debate begin!
1) RUSSELL CROWE- Love him or hate him, you can’t deny his greatness as an actor. A few bumps in the road, as of late, but it’s hard to find a movie where he doesn’t give his best.
2) DANIEL DAY LEWIS- If it wasn’t for the fact that he regularly takes anywhere from 3 to 5 years off, I would put him as number 1. He is also one of the last few remaining true method actors around.
3) SEAN PENN- Not many actors bring the passion that Penn brings to every performance. It’s a shame the 1980′s were wasted years for him.
4) JOHNNY DEPP- The master of quirky. Depp is so good at acting, that I will watch a bad movie he is in because he takes something bad and magically makes it watchable. Luckly, he doesn’t make too many bad movies.
5) EDWARD NORTON- I really wish he would work more. The fact that Cuba Gooding Jr. has an Oscar and Ed Norton doesn’t, is a crime. He might have the best body language on the list.
6) LEONARDO DICAPRIO- I never thought he would be on the list after seeing him in Titanic back in 1997. The Departed, Blood Diamond, The Aviator. People who hate on his acting, probably hated him for no reason other than jealousy. Enough said.
7) TOM HANKS- He makes this list do to the fact that he is already a living legend. He is an everyman and that is why we connect with all of his characters. I hope he gets back to making better films. I do not want Hanks to go the way of DeNiro, Pacino and Hoffman. Three great actors who gave up making good films years ago.
8) BRAD PITT- Yup, the pretty boy can act. Not only is he a great leading man, but a fine character actor. Watch 12 Monkeys and Burn After Reading, to see that he is more than a pretty face.
9) DENZEL WASHINGTON- Good movie, or bad movie, it doesn’t matter. Denzel always gets it done. If I had to pick his best performance I would say it was Malcolm X. Even his overacting is fantastic.
10) GEORGE CLOONEY- A movie star hasn’t had this much charm since Cary Grant. For those who think he plays himself in every scene, go watch Up In The Air. Watch the scene after he has his heartbroken. Clooney has never been better.
My apologizes to Robert Downey Jr., Kevin Spacey, Tom Cruise, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Christian Bale, Jeff Bridges, Jude Law, Ed Harris, Will Smith and Matt Damon. I tried very hard to get them all on the list.
Ok, so there you have it. My top 10. Don’t go easy on me. Bring it on!